Thursday, August 16, 2012

I Saw You as Tall

I saw you as tall, lying in bed,
stretched out amongst your sheets,
your head to the side, eyes closed, breathing
deeply - your arms stretched above you,
or sometimes framing your face, as if in your 
sleep you were conscious of your beauty
and strove to pose, perhaps for me.
I hated disturbing your perfect slumber.
I never saw you small, or minuscule,
your toughness was no joke, your size, your force
not something with which to be reckoned,
but in my mind you were stretched out, 
your body the length of your soul
which was the length of the bed, the room,
probably longer - if I opened the door
I'm sure your heart would leak outside,
being as big as the space you occupied.
I remember watching you and imagining
that, if you were to wake up, stand up,
then and there your height would surpass my own,
or if I were to lay against you, there would be
no difference to our size - it never felt as if there was.
The image of you quietly breathing,
giving into the world that sense of calm
and utter peace, comes back to me
every now and then. And the tallness
of you. The elegant tallness of you.
You, my equal, as tall as I,
except for those moments when
right before saying good night,
I could wrap myself around you
and take your tallness in mine,
intertwined,
intertwined,
interwined.

1 comment:

babyblueeyed girl said...

you have a way with word that amazing this just soo lovely and wonderful your amazing