Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Tonight I Took Two Sleeping Pills

8/1

Tonight, instead of one, I took two sleeping pills,
One for each of us, as if in swallowing this
Bitter pill I could send to you, through waves,

Through circuits, through the wind, through
Whatever goddamned avenue the air and ether
Could provide, this feeling of letting go

And the drop that precedes the thud of darkness
Behind eyelids who must be tricked into sleep,
Because they're not finished searching for

The missing puzzle pieces laid across the living room
Table of our repressed and tired psyches.
I drank bedtime tea, too, just for good measure,

So that the thoughts that cloud my day 
And creep up over the sides of my bed at night, 
Tugging at my pillow, my comforter,

At all the corners and the fabrics of my mind,
Could at least be pacified for a few hours
And leave me with my empty, empty sleep.

No comments: