Sunday, November 4, 2012

Daylight Saving Time

Is daylight actually saving time?
From what does time need saving?
These extra morning hours
Now more fully lit,
Now more exposed by the sun who
Sneaks into every crevice and
Wakes me through the giant windows
Of my lonely bed -
Were these the hours worth protecting?
If the sun could penetrate the windows
Of my heart, would my soul be saved?
It's still nighttime there, and nothing has stirred, 
But I couldn't say if I am merely sleeping still,
Or so far beyond the realms of sleep
That the sun in my eyes will not be enough to wake me.
I do not want time saved by daylight
If I can't have the time I wished to have and hoped would lead me to be
So much less alone and so much less exposed than I am now, in the early morning by the sun.
There was no extra hour of sleep for me,
But only an extra hour to examine the empty spaces that now, thanks to daylight, I am
Forced to see around me.

But, even so, today will still be beautiful,
The daylight is still idyllic, and the sun
Does not know or care about the crevices he lights - only that they become lit, exposed, and warmed.

And maybe warmth is what we need,
And maybe that's why daylight's saving time.


1 comment:

babyblueeyed girl said...

hugs this is beautiful <3 you