Thursday, November 29, 2012

toys

You abandoned me on the steps
of the love we'd built for one another,
and I hadn't the key to unlock any of the doors.
You must have been watching, surely,
from the windows of your guarded tower
as I stood up slowly, dusting myself off,
starting my way back from where
you'd led me with your beautiful
words, dreams, and desires.
You must have known, too, that I
heard the door open behind me,
and heard you beckon someone
inside before my bed was even cold.
Knowing now I was erased to you,
wondering how warm I ever really was,
Knowing I might as well have never happened,
wondering if this had been done before,
to men like me,
and I shoulder this, my burdens,
as I am the one who walks forward, then, from there
down the road I'd paved for us, now only me,
while you're the one now left behind,
up inside your tower,
with all your childishness, and toys.

No comments: