Thursday, November 29, 2012

From Pittsburgh to Portland; a Love Poem

4/07 - This poem was published in the Sigma Tau Delta poetry journal, The Rectangle, in 2008. It's also the poem, in my mind, responsible for sparking the arguably most meaningful relationship of my life thus far. I think it only fair that I immortalize that poetic sentiment here, as well.

If we were men,
we almost-twin cities -
you with your music and greenery
and I with my industry, my dirt,
we'd make something,
you and I -
you would be soft
and fond of caresses,
leaving your cherrytree blossoms
scattered in the bed after making love
and I'd comb them from your hair;
and then my rivers would
meet your ocean,
and I would bridge you
like I would bridge the nation
to be next to you -
they say we'd get along,
They don't know I've loved you
and your cherrytrees all this time,
and share your rain,
and bridge you, I'll bridge you,
God, I'll bridge you.